Search this site:
- Biographical Essays
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- G.K. Chesterton, Child Psychology and Nonsense (1921)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- George Orwell, Funny, But Not Vulgar (1945)
- Michele Sala, Lear’s Nonsense: Beyond Children’s Literature
- More Articles
- Edward Lear, Plain below Mt Ithome (1849) nonsenselit.com/2019/03/14/edw… https://t.co/IPmKyRmJl9 1 week ago
- Edward Lear, Roman Catholic Cemetery at Palaiopolis, Kaligoni Greece (1863) nonsenselit.com/2019/03/12/edw… https://t.co/5e4ZtMBVGk 1 week ago
- Edward Lear, Tor Sant’Eusebio (1845) nonsenselit.com/2019/03/10/edw… https://t.co/fuKFWPXmXu 2 weeks ago
Tag Archives: Edward Lear
Desert landscape with ruin. Signed and dated 1846. Pencil heightened with white on buff paper. 12.5 x 23cm; 5 x 9in. The Saleroom.
Edward Lear, Lake Nemi. Inscribed with artist’s colour notes in pencil. Pencil on buff paper. 23.5 x 40.5 cm (9 1/4 x 16 inches). Provenance With Thomas Agnew & Sons Ltd, Old Bond Street; Christopher Fry and thence by descent. The Saleroom. Lear … Continue reading
Edward Lear, A view of Mahe, Kerala, India. Signed with monogram (lower left) and inscribed ‘Mahee.’ (lower right). Pencil and watercolor heightened with bodycolor. 6 5/8 x 10 ¼ in. (16.8 x 26 cm). Provenance Lady Adelaide Daumay. T. Bull. … Continue reading
Edward Lear, Jaffa. Inscribed Jaffa and dated March 26:1858 (in ink over pencil), watercolour with pen and ink over pencil. 4.5 x 12.5cm. Provenance London, Sothebys, July 16th 1992, lot 165; Collection of Anthony Jenning The Saleroom.
Edward Lear, On the Nile. Inscribed and dated ‘4.40.Jany.5.1867/opposite Benihassan. looking south.’ (lower left), numbered ‘(79)’ (lower right). Pen, brown ink, watercolour and pencil. 8 x 26.5cm (3 1/8 x 10 7/16in). Bonhams.
Edward Lear, Villefranche, Côte d’Azure, France. Inscribed and dated ‘Villefranche,/ 9-10 AM./ 5. Feby. 1865.’ and numbered ‘(49)’ (lower right) and further numbered ‘110’ (verso) and extensively inscribed with the artist’s notes. Pencil, pen and brown ink and watercolor. 15 … Continue reading
Edward Lear, Premeti, Albania. Inscribed ‘Premeti’ (in Greek) and dated ’17. April. 1857.’ (lower left) and extensively inscribed with color notes. Pencil, pen and brown ink and watercolor. 11 7/8 x 20 ½ in. (30.5 x 51 cm). Christie’s.