Edward Lear, A Tower in the Campagna, Rome.
Signed and dated ‘Edward Lear. del./ 1846.’ (lower right).
Join 1,473 other subscribers
Search this site:
- Biographical Essays
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
- Letters to the Caetani Family
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- G.K. Chesterton, Child Psychology and Nonsense (1921)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- George Orwell, Funny, But Not Vulgar (1945)
- Michele Sala, Lear’s Nonsense: Beyond Children’s Literature
- More Articles
Twitter UpdatesTweets by margraz
- Comics (68)
- Cruikshank (4)
- Dr. Seuss (22)
- Edward Gorey (15)
- Edward Lear (1,055)
- General (138)
- Gustave Verbeek (27)
- James Thurber (3)
- Lewis Carroll (68)
- Limerick (60)
- Nonsense Lyrics (26)
- Peter Newell (84)
- Podcasts (40)
- Punch (1)
- Uncategorized (17)
- WS Gilbert (1)
Can you please let me know what your source was for this painting?
Where is the painting based?
Probably one of the websites that collect auction results, but I cannot remember which at the moment. Sorry. Marco
Thanks for your message.
I also recall seeing it on an auction website, but like you can’t remember which one it was.
By the way, I really enjoy your Blog. I’ve been following it for some time, but not posted a comment before.
I’ve loved Edward Lear since I was a young child.
I think he’s so underrated and I’m glad that you’re raising his profile with your Blog.
Thanks for all your hard work.
Every good wish,