Edward Lear, View from Dabod, looking south, Egypt.
Signed with monogram and dated ‘1880’ (lower right); and inscribed and dated ‘from/ Dabod 17 Feby. 1867’ (lower left), and further inscribed and numbered ‘,35. From Dabòd, looking South.’ (verso). Pencil and watercolour. 3 7/8 x 7 ¼ in. (9.8 x 18.4 cm.)
The Temple of Dabod, begun in the early 2nd Century BC, was originally located about 10 km south of Aswan on the western bank of the Nile. During the building of the Aswan High Dam circa 1960, the temple was dismantled and subsequently given to Spain, in gratitude for their assistance in saving Abu Simbel. It was subsequently erected in the Parque del Oeste, Madrid.