Join 1,404 other followers
Search this site:
- Biographical Essays
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
- Letters to the Caetani Family
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- G.K. Chesterton, Child Psychology and Nonsense (1921)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- George Orwell, Funny, But Not Vulgar (1945)
- Michele Sala, Lear’s Nonsense: Beyond Children’s Literature
- More Articles
Tag Archives: travel
Edward Lear, Santa Maura. Inscribed and dated ‘Santa. Maura./Βασιλικῆ/19. April.1863’ (lower right), variously annotated throughout, with collector’s stamp (upper right). Pen and ink and watercolour heightened with white. 36 x 52.5cm (14 3/16 x 20 11/16in). Provenance With P & … Continue reading
Edward Lear, Nemertska from Kouzza, Albania. Inscribed and dated ‘Nemertska from Kouzza/15 April 1857’ (lower left), variously annotated throughout. Pen, ink and watercolour. 32.5 x 52cm (12 13/16 x 20 1/2in). Provenance Lady Shaw. Thence by descent. Anon. sale, Bonhams, … Continue reading
Giuliana Randazzo’s book contains a large collection of landscape pictures, often never before published, drawn by Edward Lear during his two Sicilian trips in 1842 and 1847. As far as I can see it is only available from amazon.it.
Edward Lear, View of the Castello Caetani and the hill-town of Sermoneta, Lazio, Italy. Signed and dated ‘Edward Lear. del. 1872./(Feb 3. 1840)’ (lower left). Pencil, pen and brown ink and watercolour, heightened with touches of bodycolour. 6 1⁄2 x 10 … Continue reading
Edward Lear, Philae, Egypt, 1854. Pen and brown ink and watercolour. 294 by 492 mm. Mutualart.
Edward Lear, Mount Etna, Sicily. June 1847. Pen and brown ink and wash over pencil; 243 by 403 mm.
Edward Lear, On the Nile, opposite El Ouasta, Egypt January 1867. Pen and brown ink and watercolour, heightened with white; 62 by 206 mm. Mutualart.
Edward Lear, Eygpt; ‘Karnak’. Pen, ink and watercolour. Signed, inscribed and dated, ‘Feb 15 1854’. 6×19.5 inches. Framed: 27.5×14.5 inches. Provenance Sir Eric Maclagan and by descent; A and H, 2013; a private collection. Abbott and Holder.
Raffaele Gaetano has just published his third book on Edward Lear, Cronache di un viaggio a piedi nella Calabria del 1847. After his Per la Calabria selvaggia: 109 disegni inediti di Edward Lear. Dalla Collezione della Central Library di Liverpool, … Continue reading
Edward Lear, Benares. Signed with monogram l.l., watercolour over pencil heightened with bodycolour and gum arabic. 25.5 x 40 cm.; 10 x 15 ¾ inches. Date: 1873. Provenance Sir Sacheverell Sitwell, Bt. (1897-1988); Francis Sitwell (1935-2004); By descent at Weston Hall, … Continue reading