Search this site:
- Biographical Essays
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- G.K. Chesterton, Child Psychology and Nonsense (1921)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- George Orwell, Funny, But Not Vulgar (1945)
- Michele Sala, Lear’s Nonsense: Beyond Children’s Literature
- More Articles
Tag Archives: Italy
Edward Lear, Cervo, Imperia, Italy. Signed with monogram and dated ‘1882’ (lower right) and inscribed and dated ‘Cérvo./ 27 Decbr. 1881′ (lower left). Pencil and watercolour heightened with bodycolour. 10 7/8 x 21 in. (27.7 x 53.4 cm.) Provenance Francis … Continue reading
Edward Lear, Lago di Nemi. Pencil. Inscribed with colour notes by the artist. Exhibited Agnews. Abbot and Holder.
Jagger, Jasmine. “Lear’s Tears.” Victorian Poetry 57.1 (2019). 101-129. And: Jagger, Jasmine. “The Endlessness of Alice.” The Cambridge Quarterly 45.1 (2016). 91-97. Caniglia, Maria Rossana, and Maria Concetta Fiorillo. “Disegno e narrazione in alcune vedute calabresi di Edward Lear.” ArcHistoR EXTRA … Continue reading
Edward Lear, Mount Generoso – a “Bella Vista.” Inscribed with title and dated l.l.: 5.30 pm/9 Sept 1881. Pen and sepia ink, 10 by 17 cm. Harry Moore-Gwyn. Edward Lear, Monte Generoso. Inscribed and dated in ink l.r.: M.Generoso/5 pm/15 July 1882and … Continue reading
Edward Lear, Castle by a waterfall with a mountain beyond. Heightened watercolour and black chalk, mounted unframed, 11.5cm x 7.5cm. Provenance Christie’s 6/12/2008 lot 181. The Saleroom.
Dubois, Martin. “Edward Lear’s India and the Colonial Production of Nonsense.” Victorian Studies 61.1 (2018): 35-59. Williams, James. “The Whole Situation.” Cambridge Quarterly 47.4 (2018). 387-394. (A review of Uglow’s Mr Lear). Rizal, Sarif Syamsu. “Actantial Models in the owl … Continue reading
A post in Italian, once in a while. Se siete dalle parti di Amalfi non prdetevi la presentazione del libro sui dipinti di Edward Lear realizzati nella zona: organizzato dal Centro di Cultura e Storia Amalfintana, saranno presenti il prof. … Continue reading
Edward Lear, Tor Saint Eusebio. Titled and dated 13th February 1845. Pen, ink and watercolour on buff paper. 11.5 x 39.5cm; 4½ x 15½in. The Saleroom. There are two more pictures of the same subject with the same date at Houghton: 1, 2.
Desert landscape with ruin. Signed and dated 1846. Pencil heightened with white on buff paper. 12.5 x 23cm; 5 x 9in. The Saleroom.