Search this site:
- Biographical Essays
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- G.K. Chesterton, Child Psychology and Nonsense (1921)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- George Orwell, Funny, But Not Vulgar (1945)
- Michele Sala, Lear’s Nonsense: Beyond Children’s Literature
- More Articles
Category Archives: Peter Newell
Peter Newell, Signed Original Pencil Sketch. 3.5 x 2 inches. Heritage Auctions.
Peter Newell, A Hearty Laugh. Drawing on paper. 5 x 8 inches. Signed. Heritage Auctions.
Peter Newell’s original illustration for John Kendrick Bang’s The Pursuit of the House-Boat. New York and London: Harper & Brothers, 1896, opposite p. 10. Solomon (the Gandalf-looking old man witha crown) is asking: “What is all this got to do with … Continue reading
Peter Newell, Fairyland. Oil on panel. 12 x 16 in. Signed lower right Heritage Auctions.
Peter Newell, cover for Harper’s Young People: An Illustrated Weekly, vol. VL No. 279, 3 March 1885. For more moon dusting see Aliquis’s The Flight of the Old Woman Who was Tossed Up in a Basket.
Peter Newell, “The Educated Love Bird.” The Metropolitan Magazine, vol. XXII no. 6, September 1905, p. 715.
Peter Newell, “The Wolf and the Lamb.” The Metropolitan Magazine, vol. XXII no. 4, July 1905, p. 435.
Peter Newell, “The Literal Hen. A Fable for Certain Folk” The Metropolitan Magazine, vol. XXII no. 2, May 1905, p. 194.
Peter Newell, “The Educated Rat.” The Metropolitan Magazine, vol. XXII no. 1, April 1905, p. 97.
Harper’s Young People, June 30, 1885.