Search this site:
- Biographical Essays
- Ship of Fools. All Aboard!
- Lear’s Diaries
- A Chronology of Lear’s Life
- EL. Landscape Painter and Poet
- Bibliographies and Links
- The Edward Lear 2012 Celebrations
On Lear and Nonsense
- A Very Good Children’s Book (1865)
- Nonsense Verse, &c. (1880)
- Word-Twisting Versus Nonsense (1887)
- Concerning Nonsense (1889)
- Delightful Nonsense (1890)
- G.K. Chesterton, A Defence of Nonsense (1902)
- The Poems in Alice in Wonderland (1903)
- Limericks (1903)
- Ian Malcolm on Edward Lear (1908)
- G.K. Chesterton, Two Kinds of Paradox (1911)
- H. Jackson, Masters of Nonsense (1912)
- H. Hawthorne, Edward Lear (1916)
- G.K. Chesterton, Child Psychology and Nonsense (1921)
- How Pleasant to Know Mr Lear (1932)
- G.K. Chesterton, Both Sides of the Looking-Glass (1933)
- G.K. Chesterton, Humour (1938)
- G. Orwell, Nonsense Poetry (1945)
- George Orwell, Funny, But Not Vulgar (1945)
- Michele Sala, Lear’s Nonsense: Beyond Children’s Literature
- More Articles
Author Archives: Marco Graziosi
Edward Lear, Tor San Eusebio. Inscribed and dated ‘Tor Sant’Eusebio./ 13th. February 1845.’ (lower left) and further inscribed with colour notes.
Edward Lear, Figures Loading a Barge. Signed ‘Edward Lear del’ (lower left), dated ‘Oct. 1837’ (lower right) and numbered 53.W. (lower right).
Edward Lear, A Tower in the Campagna, Rome. Signed and dated ‘Edward Lear. del./ 1846.’ (lower right).
Edward Lear, Mount Parnes from Varnava, Greece Inscribed, dated and numbered ‘Mt. Parnes, from Varnava./ 16. June. 1868/ (39.)’ (lower right) and further inscribed with the artist’s colour notes throughout. Pencil, pen and brown ink and watercolour 10 ¼ x … Continue reading
Edward Lear, Masada from the Dead Sea. Signed with monogram (lower right) pencil, pen and brown and blue ink and watercolour, heightened with bodycolour 7 1/8 x 15 in. (18.1 x 38.1 cm.) Provenance With the Redfern Gallery, London, where … Continue reading
Edward Lear, The Pass of Monte d’Oro, Corsica. Signed with monogram (lower left) and inscribed ‘Snow peaks exact & sharp off cloud/ Foliage all Beech. on turf/ small stream in foreground (verso). Provenance Frances, Countess Waldegrave and her husband, Chichester … Continue reading
Edward Lear, Etna. Inscribed Etna 5 June 1864, watercolour with pen and ink 4 x 11cm. [Drawn while getting back from Crete.] The Saleroom.
Edward Lear, Dendera, with a View of the Nile. Inscribed and dated ‘Dendera/9.15./16 Jany.1867′ (lower left); numbered ‘176’ (lower right); variously annotated throughout. Pen, ink and wash. 17 x 50.5cm (6 11/16 x 19 7/8in). Provenance Anon. sale, Sotheby’s, London, 17 November 1988, … Continue reading
2021 marks the 150th anniversary of the publication of Edward Lear’s “The Owl and the Pussy-cat” and St Leonards-on-Sea devotes its A Town Explores a Book festival, 1-18 April 2021, to Nonsense Songs, Stories, Botany and Alphabets, the book in which … Continue reading